Skip to main content

The Inner, Relaxed State

I seem to keep reading articles on introversion lately, or running across people talking about it or mentioning it. I know I've been extra introverted lately. Maybe that's just my mind's way of dealing with it, like, "See, it's not so strange, after all. There are other introverts out there."

As an INFP, I am definitely extremely introverted, and for some reason it goes in waves. Like, some days I'll feel like being around people and getting out there and discovering life. Then other days I'll just want to hibernate and not speak to anyone. Generally when I've gotten my energies back up, I'm perfectly fine to go out and be around people again, but it tends to take me a long time to get to that point.

I get tired of constantly being misunderstood, though. The main thing I think people don't get about introverts is that most of us aren't shy or socially-awkward. It's not like we don't know how to talk to people. We just... get really worn out in social situations. Whereas most people, I think, get energized around other people, introverts feel drained. Being alone, for us, is what energizes us and recharges our batteries, so to speak.

The worst is when I'm purposefully doing something alone that I love doing alone and people act like there's something wrong with me or that I need saving somehow because of that. One of my favorite alone things to do is go to the movies by myself. And yet, I rarely mention it to people (that I go alone, I mean) because when I do, I get that puppy-look from people like they wish they'd known I wanted to go see such-and-such movie because they would've gone with me and saved me from having to sit by myself.

It's like, no really... I love going by myself. I absolutely love it. There's just something about losing myself in the storyline that amazes me. It's jarring, almost, when I go with other people to a movie that I really wanted to see. They're talking and laughing and watching me to see my reaction to things (at least I feel like they are - maybe they aren't really). It's just really hard to just sink in and feel the movie wash over me when other people that I know are around. If that makes any sense. I feel like, because they express everything outwardly, I can't quite slip into the inner, relaxed state that I usually slip into when watching a movie.

Now certain people are perfectly fine to go out with. Other introverts, generally, are fun to hang out with because they, too, like to zone out and think and ponder. Silence doesn't seem quite so loud around them because I know they enjoy it as much as I do. They know how to lose themselves in a movie, for example.

I wonder sometimes though... when I'm around a lot of extroverts... am I trying to over-compensate for liking the silence? Like somehow, am I subconsciously apologizing for liking something that they don't? I don't know. Food for thought.

-----

EDIT:

A quick, but surprisingly accurate personality test can be found here on BlogThings. There are quite a few tests online based on the Myers-Briggs personality test, but most are amazingly looooong. This one on BlogThings is 40 questions, which is long for that website, but very short compared to other M-B tests. I'd be curious to see what personality types my readers are, so feel free to post your results below!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Etsy Giveaway: Desert Rose Knit Shop

THIS CONTEST IS NOW CLOSED!! 39 comments are entered - if there are any more at a later time added, they will NOT count. ********** Today I'm christening my new(ish) blog with an Etsy giveaway! I'm offering one lucky winner a cabled beanie of their choice ( pick your favorite color !). This giveaway will run for a week - so you have until next Monday, January 23rd, to put your name in the hat. 6 ways to enter: Comment below about which color beanie is your favorite. Subscribe to my blog on Google Friend Connect . Blog about this giveaway on your own blog. " Like " my Facebook fan page . Follow me on Twitter . Tweet about this giveaway. Please leave a separate comment below for each entry. At the end of the contest, I'll use a random number generator to pick the winner!! Here's a look at some of the color options available. Browse other color options over at  my Etsy shop ! ***** Thank you for enteri...

It's the Little Things

I ran across this idea today while reading Kate's Irrelevant . It's Friday - best day of the week - so why not reminisce over what's made me smile lately? Sounds like a perfect plan! 1. My cute cat. She always makes me smile! 2. Heartbeats by The Knife. I discovered this song over on Confessions of a Graphic Design Student and have being playing it ever since. It's got a great beat and a haunting melody - two of my favorite things in a song! 3. These gorgeous hats from Carolyne's Cuties . She's such a talented knitter! 4. The New Year's video by Zooey and Joe, which I first discovered over at Lacey in the City . I'm sure you've already seen it (but click here if you haven't) - so cute! 5. The return of great shows on TV!! Loving Parenthood & Grey's Anatomy especially - they both made me cry this week! Fore more things to make you smile, check out the Little Things link-up over on Aisle to Aloha! There are ...

DIY Art Journal

Hi, my name is Linda and I am a 25 year old law student living in Manhattan. I blog over at My Passion Is... about my life, scrapbooking, DIY crafts, photography, exploring NYC & more. I am honored to be sharing a post with you today on Jen's blog, so thanks for having me! I recently completed a mini album that I made out of a pasta box so I wanted to share a tutorial with you so you could make your own! What you need: empty pasta box [I used a whole foods penne pasta] scrapbook papers & embellishments a single hole punch sturdy tape [like packaging tape] a paper cutter and/or scissors some sort of binding, either binding rings or ribbon First, you are going to flatten out your pasta box. Then you are going to cut it down to two 6x6 squares [or whatever size album you want to make]. If the box doesn’t fit perfectly in those shapes that’s alright, just piece them together using packaging tape to hold the squares together. Once you cover them i...