Wednesday, June 26, 2013

What I've Learned in my First Two Weeks of Freelancing

A snippet of what I've been working on lately.

1). It's good to put on real clothes once in awhile.

I love being able to work in my pajamas, but doing that too many days in a row can mess with your head. Putting on real clothes in the morning definitely helps get my mind in the working mode!

2). Naps are awesome.

I love the make-your-own-schedule part of freelancing. It feels good to be able to take a nap when I need it and then work late into the night when my brain is actually more awake (I'm a night owl).

3). It really is all in who you know.

It has been said that the best way to get new clients is through word-of-mouth from the old ones... and repeat clients are even better! I'm currently working on a blog re-design for one of my previous clients, which I never would've gotten if I hadn't reached out to her to let her know about my new design portfolio! Don't be obnoxious when you're promoting yourself, but it definitely does your business good to remind people once in awhile that you're available for work.

4). My TiVo missed me.

My poor TiVo got so neglected in the last month or two while I was working hard finishing school. It's been nice to have down-time again and catch up on some of my stories!

5). There are a lot of learning resources online.

I've also spent a lot of time this week watching web coding and Photoshop videos. Those are two areas I don't feel entirely competent (we mainly used Illustrator and InDesign for my school projects), so beefing up on my skills, even when I'm not working a lot can only help me in the future. A few awesome video tutorial sites I've found are here: 1, 2, 3.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't even try to leave a link in your comment... it will be deleted without warning.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...