Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Graphite Leaves

In going through my iPhone to find photos of past projects that I'd forgotten to tell you about, I found a photo of a graphite (pencil) rendering I did of leaves last term. I'm pretty sure I forgot to tell you about this, so wanted to share it now!

This particular assignment was stuffed into finals week last term so was done VERY QUICKLY (like in about 4 hours). Normally I would allow at least 20 or 30 hours for something this detailed, but due to being assigned very close to our due date (giving only about a week's notice) and also having a million other projects due also in that same week, this ended up being a one afternoon project. Despite doing it so quickly though, I was amazed how just remembering to leave highlights and add shadows really made it feel real much more than I would've thought it would've. That's definitely one thing I'm learning in this illustration class... don't forget the highlights and shadows! Those are what give the subject definition and depth!

2 comments:

  1. You did that in only 4 hours?! Damn, girl! You done good. You're right - making something look real relies on adequate shadows and highlighting. Is there blue in there, too? It kind of looks like it. I remember my painting teacher in high school telling me to look deeper into the shadows - they aren't just black, but a shade of a color. I remember adding purple to the shadows and it totally made the painting 10x better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow it's amazing! And only in 4 hours, that's incredible! I feel like "don't forget the highlights and the shadows" is a metaphor for life! :)

    ReplyDelete

Don't even try to leave a link in your comment... it will be deleted without warning.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...