Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Dreaming of How I Want My Life to Be

This isn't a declaration, because whenever I do that I change my mind. (Although I suppose changing her mind is a woman's prerogative, isn't it?). Rather, this is just a simple wish and a plan.

As you're probably well aware of, I'd give anything to not have to be "working for the man" anymore. That's just so not my lifestyle. I don't mind working hard, but working hard for someone else is exhausting mentally and creatively.

I want to be at the place where it would be feasibly possible to make a living from my own creative hand. I want time to sleep in... to ponder life slowly over a luxurious breakfast... to have the flexibility and resources to travel and see the world. I have to keep that dream at the forefront of my mind or I might disappear under the weight of discouragement that is the drudgery of a 9-5 job.



As I've been dreaming of how I want my life to be over the past few months, I've noticed something. A lot of the blogs I read are written by similar-minded, creative women, many of whom are crafters, hobbyists, and graphic designers. (Can you guess where I'm going with this?). Turns out, a graphic designer can make up to 40-60K a year! Fascinating, huh? Much better (and way more interesting) than being a receptionist, for sure.

Obviously it takes time to go through the schooling (a 2-year Associates degree), and then more time still to either find a job (working for the man), or building my client list (working for myself). But... it's a solid lead and a wonderful idea for how to take my creative streak and turn it into making an actual living.

I love that this career path has both formal and informal options for making money. That's not the case with a lot of careers. I think if I have to be pigeon-holed into a career, I'd rather be in one that has options to wiggle around in.



So, I've been researching. Turns out there's a fairly decent program right here at my local community college, costing about $650 a term. Not bad. If I budget and save, I won't even have to take any loans out. (That's a big IF - I'm not very good at budgeting and saving). Plus, I love that I can implement what I learn right away, online. I can experiment on my own blog, then gradually offer my services to others on the web. The more I learn, the more valuable my skills will be.

What do you think? Is this a pipe dream or something worth working towards?



No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't even try to leave a link in your comment... it will be deleted without warning.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...