Skip to main content

80's Cartoons: Then and Now

I was browsing tv this morning while eating breakfast (tsk, tsk, I know...) and ran across a shocking sight. They've remade a BUNCH of the 80's cartoons, and not very flatteringly at that. I knew about Strawberry Shortcake and Care Bears, but check out some of these other ones, too! As an 80's child myself, I've often wished over the years that those old cartoons would make a comeback, this wasn't exactly what I meant!

Available on Amazon: $4.99
Strawberry Shortcake: Then and Now
The 80's Strawberry people were reminiscent of the sugary treats that gave them their names. Now the characters look more like shrunken Barbie dolls.

Available on Amazon Instant: $1.99
Care Bears: Then and Now
Care Bears (and their cousins!) used to be a soft, cuddly bunch that liked to stare down bad guys every now and then. Is it just me, or do the new versions have unusually large heads? This somehow makes them look both younger and creepier at the same time.



Available on Amazon DVD: $26.24
My Little Ponies: Then and Now
As with most 80's cartoons, the My Little Ponies were drawn with deep, saturated colors. They were the epitome of cuteness! Now they look like a cross between Pokemon and the creepy new Strawberry Shortcake dolls. It's those eyes!! *shudder*



Available on Amazon DVD: $8.49
Pound Puppies: Then and Now
80's style Pound Puppies all sort of looked alike - which was part of their charm. They were just so cute!! Other than being dogs, the modern cast of characters don't resemble their older namesakes in the least.



Available on Amazon Instant: $2.99
Rainbow Brite: Then and Now
Again we see the deeply saturated 80's colors in the original Rainbow Brite cartoon. Love those!! Each character was so obviously a color of the rainbow. Today's characters, with all their pastel brights, are a mash-up of Lisa Frank and Barbie. (And where did all those extra horses come from? Those should be the new My Little Ponies; they look much more like what My Little Ponies should look like!)



A Few Other Casualties:
Don't even get me started on the many hideous movie reboots have transpired over the last few years. I love revisiting old friends, but could you at least make them resemble the originals?







Winnie the Pooh: Then and Now ---> WIN!
The one exception to this trend of Hollywood mangling my childhood favorites was the new Winnie the Pooh movie. That one stayed surprisingly true to the other versions, thankfully, both in appearance and personality. Come to find out, the original guy to voice Pooh also voiced him in this movie! Very cool!! :)



Comments

  1. omg i love this post! basking in nostalgia is always fun... kinda cool how much design has evolved. thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really don't like what they've done to the smurfs :( And strawberry shortcake - the whole body size and image issue comes out quite strongly. Very sad.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Don't even try to leave a link in your comment... it will be deleted without warning.

Popular posts from this blog

Meet a Designer: Stephanie Kubo

I stumbled across a completely fascinating artist today, Stephanie Kubo . Her portfolio doesn't state if she's a working designer, illustrator, etc, but her work is exquisite so I think she fits the bill for including in my Meet a Designer series. Enjoy! (Linking up with Kristen Victoria ).

DIY Art Journal

Hi, my name is Linda and I am a 25 year old law student living in Manhattan. I blog over at My Passion Is... about my life, scrapbooking, DIY crafts, photography, exploring NYC & more. I am honored to be sharing a post with you today on Jen's blog, so thanks for having me! I recently completed a mini album that I made out of a pasta box so I wanted to share a tutorial with you so you could make your own! What you need: empty pasta box [I used a whole foods penne pasta] scrapbook papers & embellishments a single hole punch sturdy tape [like packaging tape] a paper cutter and/or scissors some sort of binding, either binding rings or ribbon First, you are going to flatten out your pasta box. Then you are going to cut it down to two 6x6 squares [or whatever size album you want to make]. If the box doesn’t fit perfectly in those shapes that’s alright, just piece them together using packaging tape to hold the squares together. Once you cover them i

Happy May Day!

Can you believe it's May already? Time sure does fly! April was busy for me. I started (and failed) NaNoWriMo. I also got a job! Full-time at a webdesign agency. I'm in my second week now and it's been going well. Still learning the ropes and adjusting to being awake in the a.m., but so far so good. :) How was your April? Do anything exciting? Do you have any fun plans for May? ------------------ And as promised, here is your free May calendar! Enjoy!! 1280x800 | 1366x768 | 1920x1080